Monday, September 1, 2008

I bow before good food ads (Good applying to the ads)

I really have to applaud people who can sell food products. And not just any food products, but more in the junk food vain. This appreciation comes from working on Nutella this quarter.

Angelle and myself love the product and have experienced the nuances of velvety chocolate-hazelnut spread. But trying to sell the product to the "caveman" was an absolute pain. "Boil it down, boil it. Simplify." That has been the message of the quarter and especially for Cohen. I appreciate this because I know that my college essay bullsh*ting doesn't speaking to the masses, but it an absolute pain for food. The basic benefit of food is that is tastes good and fills your stomach.

I will say that my favorite food ads have been 5 gum and Skittles. 5 because of their ability to convey the sensation of the gum in a fun and imaginative way. Skittles because of the absolute absurdity of the ads. My favorite being the "Touch of Skittles", where the guy can't touch anything without it turning into Skittles.

On the flip side, the ones I hate are Burger King's "King" mascot and Starburst's "Berries and cream lad". I know I'm going to get flack for this, but everyone is entitled to an opinion in a subjective industry.

The BK King scares the sh*t out of me. Why? Because the face can't show any other emotion than a plastic smile. Comparing BK to their competitor, McDonalds, at least Ronald can show emotion. BK seems like a me-too mascot that isn't really needed, unless he's gear towards the kids, in which case I'm not the target audience and therefore "I don't get it".

Maybe the same holds true for the "Berries and Cream lad", but I just can help but wonder why you would make someone make dress up like that and make them sing an idiotic song. Going through the song/verse once was fine, but repeating it with more gusto just made it more grating and sad to me.

No comments: