Saturday, December 6, 2008

My first Baddies

I have arrived home smelling of smoke and having been butt brushed way too many times by more guys than girls. But still, I couldn't be more pleased. I meet new people and had a great time.

I'm not sure if I've covered this in a previous post, but just so you understand were I'm coming from, I'm slightly agoraphobic, so this was an overwhelming success.

Taking it from the top, this wasn't a right off the bat type move, but a gradual occurrence of events. Previously, I'd been called into Dan's office on concern of my grades. I'm not flailing around and about to drown mind you, but last quarter was less then stellar. We talked and he said, "You have to get over the fear of the wood chipper." He also mentioned that I had a formulaic writing style. That I was attacking advertising as a math problem. "In advertising, the is no one answer. There are multiple answers." He was right.

My buddy, Chris H, has been telling me for the past couple of quarters that I "needed to loosen up." My partner Jes succinctly said that I "had a stick of half lit dynamite up (my) ass." And tonight Shana said, "Sometimes it feels like you're trying too hard." They're all right.

But that's why I went tonight. Sure, I don't drink or smoke, but I had an awesome time meeting new people and hanging out with old friends. I even got into the spirit of the baddies by writing some horrible ads. One for sticky title floors and the other for an alternative use for Smuckers. I don't know if anyone read them, but if they did, I hope they got a good chuckle.

Shana, a personal thanks to you. Without knowing that I had at least one view from someone other than myself, I would have probably dumped this whole blog. We all need a creative outlet other than our work and this is one of mine.

Personal note: Alot of people came up to me and asked if I drank. The answer is no. Yeah, my religion says stuff against drinking, but it's not a rule, just a health guideline. But that's not the reason. I have an addictive personality, so I don't want to risk it. Plus, I've seen how stupid people get on the stuff. I'm not saying that you shouldn't do it or that I'll think any differently of you if you do, I'm just saying it's not for me.

No comments: