Saturday, February 7, 2009

Don't be afraid to embarrass yourself in front of your peers

It's taken me this long to embrace being here in Atlanta. Small town to big city lifestyle lag wasn't pretty and to some extent still isn't. Going from home to work and back again doesn't benefit the spirit.

On point of the post, I'm not sure where I heard, but one of the big ad agencies makes their people choose from a list of things to do that are rather embarrassing. The concept is that once you make a fool out of yourself, anything else stupid you do won't be as embarrassing. I don't know what was on the list, but I think walking around in public with your pants around your ankles might be on there.

I am an introvert. Not a serious one, but probably enough that it hurts my professional career. I've held out from going to parties, thinking that I could get more work done, realizing just recently the events I was missing was where partnerships formed. Quite akin to the golf course business deals I suppose. Well, our beloved Andrew Harper snagged a job and a party was going down in his honor. I figured it was time to the make the scene.

Made the party and hung on the wall. Lame, lame, lame. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed people dancing to some music. I've had a little bit of experience, but never the guts. Now was the time. I got out there and danced. I don't know if it was good or bad (betting on bad as no one was on the dance floor when I was done, like I cursed it), but it was one of my more embarrassing moments.

And while I didn't come out of the party with new partnership, I got a sense of whatever I do now can't be as bad as what I did that night.

No comments: